An assistant is a person (or by extension a device) that helps another person accomplish their goals
This blog is part of a research project and art exhibition at Bearspace entitled the Assistant, it collects together discussion and stories around the idea of artist's assistants and arts internships to build a discourse around the exhibition itself. For more on the exhibition click here. To read the entries collected as part of this project read on or submit your own story here.

Monday 19 April 2010

By Accident or Design

An 'assistant' story submitted by Lucy

Several years ago I worked at the *** in London as a design intern. It was around the time that they were re-designing their famous acronym to create a new brand for the institute. The process was very nearly complete and the new brand had been rolled out across almost everything.

One morning the marketing director ask me to do a 'quick, little design job'. I was in my first year at LCC, studying design. I knew very little, especially about the dangers of stealing parts from a new re-design to create a piece of work, and doing it without the approval of the agency who had done the job! Regardless.. I designed the small A8 'sign-up' card using various different elements of the new re-design; stealing bits from other InDesign documents, etc. A week later, I was very excited when the front desk called me to say that the cards had arrived from the printers. "My first print job... and for ***!" I thought, happily skipping down the stairs. Later, with the box of cards in my arms, I opened it up to have a look at one of them and proudly smiled.

As I jumped into the lift to go back upstairs (which at the *** is literally the width of two average-sized people) a man stepped into the lift with me. He took one look at the small yellow card in my hand, and his faced turned to thunder. It turns out he was the creative director of the agency that had *just* finished the re-design, coming in for a meeting to discuss the handover. He looked me straight in the eye and said, "Who... did... that?" He was furious... which, now with my own studio, I would have been too. We live and learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment